Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Life in the slow lane

Due to yesterday's technical difficulties, I'm working on POS, right now -- reading and making notes for the first section of the story, the part in Derry while Brendan is growing up. This is the scariest part for me, because I know so little about it outside the events that made international news. I'm skating over things like what people ate and what games the kids played until the British Army came in and took over the playgrounds for their tanks and APCs; I'm still digging for this information and may see about contacting people associated with NICRA to ask if I can pick their brains, once I make my next trip.

But before I go I want a first draft done, and this section is the leanest when it comes to what I've written. I probably have 3, maybe 4 chapters left to complete the Houston section, and Brendan's return to Derry is about 2/3 done. I did find a great site detailing the Irish census of 1911 and showing just how crowded the Bogside area of the city was, even back then. So back to it. Even if I'm writing crap, at least it'll be done and available for correction once I get better information. Hopefully I'll learn more about everything once I get to NI.

I learned I have a fan of my writing on FaceBook. And I now have reviews of all my books on Amazon, and overall they're very positive. Gives me encouragement.

No comments: