Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo...

I thought I'd explained this but people keep asking so -- it stands for "National Novel Writing Month", which is every November. There's a challenge -- write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I've participated in the last two of them and made it both times, though the book I wrote last year was complete crap and needs to be rewritten, beginning with word one. But that's the beauty of the deal -- all that matters is that you complete your first draft and quality does not even enter into the equation. And the first book I did, "Bobby Carapisi", is now in print...so who knows what will happen with book 2 after I dig back into it?

Book 3 is "Place of Safety" and I'm finding myself being more precise with this. Maybe too much so. I want to get it down solid and I'm fighting to keep from going back and rewriting, already. I've posted what is essentially the prologue on the site -- www.nanowrimo.org -- and have a total of 5762 words done...albeit not in order. But that makes me think I'm going the right way with this. I jumped all over the place writing BC then pulled everything together at the end (for a total of 124,000 words) and it made a lot more sense than I expected it do. The rewrites were to clarify the story and build consistency in the characters (and destroy all typos, which I keep finding even after going through my work a dozen times). I'm hoping that will happen with POS -- sans typos.

Now off to another chapter of the book. Its siren calls whispers to me.

No comments: