Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

No writing done

Didn't input one word, yesterday. Seems when I'm ready to start writing that's when mom comes up with needing to go get things at the grocery store and decides she wants various other errands handled, so I spent hours on that and did some reading and talked with a guy in LA who was looking for a script to shoot so sent him one that I think he'll like (but can't be shot for under $900K so I hope he meant it when he said a budget of up to a million) while mom watched "Supernanny." Then I was so out of the writing mode, I watched "Ugly Betty" and sorted paperwork.

I have to admit, "Ugly Betty" is becoming a habit. I like its whole format and how it presents an Hispanic family as just normal people instead of hoods and druggies, and how its main gay character is not just a bitchy punchline but has depth and worthiness to him. The stories are a bit "Telenovela" but that works. Of course, what that illuminates is just how much of a lazy writer I am, seeking distractions to keep from having to face the blank page -- or computer monitor, in this case.

Today I'm making up for it. Period. Another part of the trouble is me just being a wuss and telling mom, "No, I need to work on this." Seems just explaining it to her doesn't matter -- so now it's up to me to set the boundaries and stick to them and...

And I'm about to start whining. It's going to be one of those days. Maybe I'll go to Starbucks and stay the afternoon and get drunk on mint tea and overindulge in their disgustingly good oatmeal cookies...after I fix lunch.

No comments: