Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Second rate library

I spent a few hours, yesterday, at the San Antonio Public Library trying to research what Houston was like between April 1973 and January 1981...and they had next to nothing. They don't even carry copies of "The Houston Chronicle" beyond two months back, not even on microfilm, and had nothing of "The Houston Post," (which was the paper I preferred while I lived there). Didn't help that the library's rearranging its entire setup. Apparently they're shutting down the 6th floor due to budget constraints (I guess the city needed more money to close streets and build blank, uncomfortable parks to be named after various city council members; world class city my ass). So it looks more and more like I'll have to spend a few days in Houston to get the info I want.

Of course, now is when I get my first script and storyboarding job in months. It's not a big one, but it's for an ad agency I've done a lot of work for and I'm grateful they sent it my way because the money is much needed, so no way I'll turn it down. Of course, something like this is understandable to Brendan; he doesn't LIKE it, but he can see where I'm coming from.

What's good about this is, it's lit a fire under me. Once I got mom fed and she'd settled into her room, I wrote up Brendan's return to Derry after 8 years and bumped myself up to over 43,300 words. I'll meet the challenge before the weekend's done (the job starts Monday) and keep digging into Brendan's story as I work up the frames and script for the project so that when it's done, I can get straight back to POS.

Of course, at the same time I told a friend of mine I'd help him rewrite a script. But I've read it already and don't think it needs rewriting so much as editing down and streamlining, and that comes very easy to me.

Wait...never a good idea to brag or boast. Invariably something happens to trip you up and make you look like an idiot. Which I've done more than once. So let's just say it'll be fun.

So my goal is still to have a first draft done of the book by the end of December. It won't be a pretty draft, but it'll be a good beginning...and a little reconstructive surgery never hurt anyone.

No comments: