Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

And the light came on...

And it took me long enough. I'm caught up in this chaos because I stopped making "A Place of Safety" priority number one...so Brendan called in the hounds of hell to cause me no end of trouble. I'm an idiot, twisting myself up over helping people who don't know what they want while paying scant attention to what is most important to me, right now. Immediate goals need rearrangement. And how.

So I've already started. I wrote more on Burntollet and it's getting to be quite intense, especially the casual betrayals it involves, now, as well as Brendan's first hints of manhood. It still reads a bit silly, at times, but it's getting there.

When I wrote a script, I usually tried to built 5 important aspects into every scene. Sometimes I was able to do more, but I had to have at least that many for any scene to be in the screenplay, which is why I became so protective of my work against people who wanted to change it to fit some pre-conceived notion of how a script should be. I half think that's why actors usually loved my writing.

Seems I'm carrying that over to my novel -- minimum of 5 important aspects to the chapter, in detail. Period. And this will have them. Every chapter will, no matter what. Probably more since they're longer and I'm better able to dig deeper into the psyche of the characters insofar as Brendan knows them.

Dunno if I'm getting better as a writer or just more obnoxious. Hopefully both.

It's below freezing in San Antonio. Do you know where your kitty-cats have been?

No comments: