Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Brendan's his own man

I'm not sure how this is working out, yet, but Brendan's asserting himself as a full and complete individual following his own path by the age of 13...well, a month shy of that. If he doesn't want to tell you something, he doesn't. If he wants to go down a certain path and an adult tells him he can't, he just blithely smiles, waits till their back is turned and goes anyway. He's already questioning the motives behind people who are on his side because their actions don't jibe with his view of things. And he's in the process of discovering how casually friends can betray you.

All of this is in the chapters leading up to the "Loyalist" attack on the non-violent People's Democracy march at Burntollet Bridge, just a few miles away from Derry, near Claudy. I don't know how this will finish up -- if Brendan is part of the march, if he's prevented from getting there till after the attack -- but it's clipping along.

I'm up to about 64K now and trying to keep from going back to make revisions till I have this draft completed, but it's hard. I now have post-its on slips of paper to remind me of ideas I'm having and changes that'll need to be made to things I've already done. I'm still aiming for a final first rough draft by the 31st.

I worked out all the storyboard frames, last night before I got back to POS. Today I'll fill them in, scan them and put them in a PDF. Looks like 12-14 pages worth, at 4 frames a page. Not as many as I expected but more than enough to cover the whole project. There will be more revisions, I'm sure, but this is manageable.

Now it's off to the mines -- Hi-ho, hi-ho...no, wait, that was the song to end work, wasn't it?

No comments: