Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I'm not used to the sun

After months in Buffalo with rain and cold and snow and clouds and such, I get to LA where it's been sun-shiny all day and traffic makes you go SLOOOOOOW and the golden rays pound in on you and suddenly you're dog tired from the heat tempered only slightly by the cool breezes. I've downed more water in the last couple days than in the previous 3 months (mainly because I don't like water unless it's got tea in it). But now, after my third Perrier of the day...or is it my fourth? Anyway, I'm beginning to feel human, again.

Job packing is done and it turned out to be twice as much weight as I anticipated. They ain't gonna be happy when they get the bill, so I gave them some advance warning about that. Now it's time to relax. I saw my buddy, Brad, today and drove around town and wish I hadn't done the latter. I went by where Heritage used to be and the new owner flat out ruined that building. He got rid of the slate roof and bay window, added goofy windows to the upstairs, took away the main entrance and painted it white. And West Hollywood let him do it. The scum. That depressed me.

I tried to see a couple of other friends but that didn't work out. Now one of my German buddies is coming over for a drink. I guess I can relax till tomorrow, when I head for Huntington Beach during the morning rush hour. Oh, do I look forward to that.

No writing done. No reading. No way it can happen now.

No comments: