Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oops, I did it, again

Brendan is pissed at me. No, not pissed...just unhappy. I got lost in setting up this deal on Invested.in and shunted POS aside. I haven't done anything on it for a week...not since I flew out to LA and dealt with the Canadians who were afraid to fly so wouldn't shut up on the flight. I thought I'd at least have the hard copy gone over by now, but nope. Nothing.

I'm not very disciplined when it comes to my writing, I have to admit. I may write every day, but it's not always what I should be writing or even want to write. I currently have a stack of junk that'll need letters sent out (like to TransUnion Credit Services, who keep pulling some nonsense about me not giving them the information they need to correct my credit report even though I've given them exactly what they asked for, again), and I have so much reading stacked up to do and my bills are squirrely, right now. And next week I'm taking a day trip to NYC to oversee the shipping of the books off to The London Book Fair (which I don't get to go to, dammit).

On top of it, I'm turning into the IT guy at this job, and I barely know how to make my MAC work, let alone a program on a PC...so there's that learning curve as well as knowing more and more about UK Import/Export rules. By the time I'm done, I may have myself set up as an expert in it (insofar as books are concerned) so might be able to skip the country and live in London.

I'm thinking about that mainly because the right wing Tea Party movement has become really scary, with many of them all but calling for the overthrow of the government and enactment of Christian law as regards morality (but not as regards business, the little snakes). Many of us on the left wing refer to them as the Talibangelicals, and initially did it as a snarky way of identifying them. But lately they seem too damned ready to topple Washington, shoot whomever they damn well want and run everyone who's not a true WASP out of the country. And I blame "American Idol" for this.

You may think I'm joking, but AI actually set up the notion that mediocre people with the brains and ability of a five-year-old can become the next music/movie/political star if they're good-looking and at least know how to connect with their audience. And it's spread to just about everything in American culture and is threatening to take over the world.

So now we have the likes of Ann Coulter, who knows nothing about history lecturing people on the meaning of history because she spouts cutsie lines about liberals; and Sarah Palin, who quit her job as governor lecturing Obama on how to do his job because she still has a rack and winks at the boys in the audience, like any good cougar would; and Glenn Beck going bat-shit-fucking crazy on camera and spouting absolute nonsense as these sheep-claiming-to-be-people think he's making sense, all because he's got a program on cable; and Sean Hannity so lost in his idea that everything a Democrat does is wrong and everything a Republican does is right, he's defending the very people who nearly collapsed our economy (and may still succeed at doing it, if they have their way) and people think he's smart. Rush Limbaugh makes up facts to suit his mood and makes fun of sick people, but if any Republican dares to point that out he gets berated into apologizing to the fat-assed-junkie-hypocrite. All because he has a radio show. Tea baggers have even been shown verbally attacking a man who had Parkinsons (or something like it) telling him they don't do handouts. It's diseased.

Sorry, I'm ranting. But I do think things are getting nastier and nastier in this country, and I don't know if I want to be around it, anymore. Of course, there's nothing new about the right wing's vicious absurdity. Hell, during Kennedy's presidency, there were people who wanted him dead because he was Catholic. And members of the GOP were accusing Roosevelt of letting the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor decades ago. We had McCarthyism and Tricky Dick's CREEP shenanigans in the 50's and 70's. Maybe I'm just too aware of it all, now.

But it is informing my books, and will factor greatly into POS. I finally understand why Brendan winds up in Houston for a while; that city has one of the largest chapters of the Ku Klux Klan in the US, in a suburb called Deer Park, to the east of the city. I got a feeling that's gonna factor into it.

Ah me...always finding excuses not to write...until I find something I want to write so badly, I can't not write it.

No comments: