Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Headachey and confuse'd

Been a rough couple of days, dealing with my mother and things that need to be done. I found out she got a prescription for some medication and was supposed to be taking it for the last six months...and didn't even fill the prescription. We got it filled today after talking with her doctor. She got an order for some blood work 9 weeks ago and didn't do it till I set it up and took her, yesterday, and it wasn't enough; we have to go back, tomorrow. She needs a new washer because her old one's finally done a crash and burn, but she wants to wait till this part comes in that was ordered 2 weeks ago, apparently, and see if that fixes it.

I guess I'll be calling home more than once a week, once I'm back in Buffalo, making sure everything's been done that needs to be done. My own damn fault, expecting adults to handle the responsibility of making sure an elderly woman is properly cared for. Imagine. I was trying to get everyone together for dinner, tomorrow night, but now I don't know if I'm up for it.

I now officially have 50K words on BC-3 and probably another 10K to go. When Allen shifted into this new frame of mind, everything fell into place and I realized what needs to be emphasized in him and the monsters he aligned himself with -- a complete lack of empathy. Not hate or lust or selfishness, just not giving a damn about the effects of their actions on others. Until Bobby's very public crash and burn jolts Allen out of his state of denial.

I was thinking I had to write so much to get this done, but the fact is, I had 75% of everything I needed and have been able to realign that into a more meaningful story...that of an apathetic demon acknowledging his sins and wondering about atonement for his consistent violation of the one thing he loves -- beauty. Starting with a guy he knew in college, named Samuel.

No comments: