Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hmm...maybe it WAS hate mail

Here's the person's response to my response.

That wasn't meant to be hate mail. I read your taste in literature and films and figured you had to be a reasonably intelligent guy. What I don't understand is why some of you micks (my emphasis) will actually indulge/support these gay groups that despise you? Seriously, it annoys me. BUT, I do apologize if there are things about you I don't know that makes my questions irrelevant. You might be Protestant, Sullivan might be your pseudonym, you might simply be unaware of NYC/Boston gay life, you might have covered the self-hating Irish gays in your writing already, etc.

This is the first time in my life I have ever been called a "mick." And I lived in fucking TEXAS for 25 years, where they still refer to Jews as Christ-killers in some parts of the state and still casually refer to Mexican-Americans as "beaners" and "tamale eaters." Which I guess makes my mother Mexican-American because she loves beef tamales, and never mind her Norwegian background...which is whiter, blonder and more perfect in the Aryan sense than any Nazi ever could even THINK of being.

I honestly have no idea what the fuck this guy's problem is, but I'm thinking maybe he's really more of a troll than a flat out hater...though his comments about gays and consistent reference to the "New York Gay Ghetto" make me wonder. (See the comments section of "Easy Does It" for more of this.) Maybe he's just a homophobe out to prove he's not really a closet case, so I've asked him flat out if he's gay. His answer will be interesting.

Wow...I'm feeling so...hell, I dunno...pleased about this. Which is weird. I should just be pissed. Which I am. But at the same time, it means somewhere, somehow I'm impacting people enough to where they'll call me names. Shit. Is that cool or what?

No comments: