Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

J'aime Depeche Mode


Swear to God, I don't think I've heard one bad album out of these guys. They never just "make do" but give 110% on everything they offer. David Gahan may be a maniac, but he's an amazingly talented one. Probably one of the few people worth the high maintenance he entails, thanks to his amazing voice. I hear he's got cancer. I hope he comes through it with everything in his life -- his anger and self-indulgence and talent -- intact.

I'm listening to "Precious", probably one of the loveliest rock melodies about regret ever...and it's helping pump me up to jump back into BC-3. I've been waging a fun little battle against this weird ennui that's washed over me as regards both BC-3 and POS, where I just meander through the evening and get little, if anything, done on anything. I could probably work up any number of reasons for it, but I honestly don't know if they really matter that much. It may just be a biorhythms thing. Hmph, like my "time of month." Or just that fact that I'm working out and body ain't up to speed on that, yet, and is letting its grumpiness be known.

Whatever it is, Depeche Mode's helping me bust it. Just like Enigma helped in "5 Dates" and "Dair's Window." And Loreena McKinnitt does with POS. With her, I especially rely on "Night Ride Across the Caucasus" for some reason. Its melody fits perfectly into the final chapters of the story.

I guess we take inspiration from wherever we can get it, us writers do.

No comments: