Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

14,000

And I'm more than halfway through the story.  Hm...maybe this won't be a novel, after all.  If so, it's gonna be my shortest one.  I mean, my novella is the shortest work I've had published -- what was that?  20,000 words?  I'll have to look it up, sometime.

However...I haven't really dug into the characters, yet.  This draft is proving to be more of a long-form outline, and I've been able to go back to an early draft where I chopped stuff out that was fun and add it to Mrs. Serff's character -- she's the old-lady caretaker who's cantankerous and, all of a sudden, a secret smoker -- and the scene in the shower with Daniel, Ace, Carmen and Tad...and it makes sense once read in context.  Trust me.

I still need to begin building in a stronger differentiation between that characters in their manners of speech...except three of them are in Daniel's mind so I can play easy with them...except one of them isn't really in his mind because he's also real, just different in tone and syntax until the end, when he becomes nothing but real.

Man, if I can keep all of this straight, I'll be doing damn good.
 Time for something easy and soothing to the brain.  I found these on a site called http://cuteboyswithcats.tumblr.com/
Tho' be warned -- a lot of Tumbler is NSFW sites.  Still...who couldn't feel better after seeing something like this?  Doesn't it just make you wanna go "Awwwww."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kyle for introducing me to my new favorite thing on the the internet. Owning a cat can make normally average looking guys so much cuter somehow.

Personally I wish novellas would make a comeback. Brokeback Mountain was a novella and it's one of most celebrated prices of gay literature of all time.

Any word on when Bobby Carapisi v3 is getting published?

JamTheCat said...

BC3 is probably aiming for the end of the year, hopefully by Christmas but I'm not betting on it.

And yes, kittens can make just about anybody look cute...and you'll notice I carefully chose two of the most adorable to highlight.