Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

26,052 words...

And the first draft is done.  And while it has farcical elements in it, this story is not a farce.  It's got too much going on that's too dark for it to be.  Nor is it black comedy.  It's just the lightest piece of fiction I've written since "David Martin"...and that was more of a fable that had some serious undertones to it.

There are bits I can add to this piece that will increase the word count, but I honestly cannot see this one making the 50K needed for NaNoWriMo.  I don't think I'd want it to, not if it hurt the story in any way.  And I'm not gonna cheat and just write crap to get to that number.  If I wanted to do that, I'd just plug the story in twice and have 52K.  Not gonna happen, not unless it works...and the truth is, I'm not sure I'm vested enough in the story to let it take over for the length of time it would take to complete it.

Besides, I'm still in a weird place, emotionally, and forcing the issue right now would be counter-productive if I want to keep it light and easy.  Well...light and easy for me and my ways.  I'm feeling somewhat alienated and unsure.  And the fact is, there's a lot more going on than just that diseased election and the final revelation that Obama was never the man he presented himself to be.  I mean, I didn't expect much from him -- shit, I can read the context of a sentence and his speeches leading up to his election were obviously ploys to convince people he would do what he said without providing the real sense he'd do it.  He was even verbally against gays getting married before he was elected, so why would anyone think he'd be on our side in everything else?  As he's shown, very clearly, he is not.  That he didn't live up to my diminished expectations is only evidence of how duplicitous he was, and has proven himself to be.

So...shove that crap aside, accept the reality of the world and try to figure out what the hell is going on in my life that's got me so messed up. right now.  I used to take nice long walks for this kind of contemplation, but I haven't in some time.  I think I'll start, tomorrow.

BTW, I took a break between sections of LD to finally watch the new "Star Trek" -- and I have to admit, I enjoyed it.  Chris Pine is cute...but Zachary Quinto is who makes my heart stop.  He was elegant as Spock.

No comments: