Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Best laid plans...

Always get trampled by my characters.  I started to add my own little drama to the drama of Daniel's life, and got smacked down in a way that was not pretty.  BUT...did lead to something better.  And I'm now up over 36K in words.

What happened, you might ask?  Well, Daniel got himself a sister...but no brothers.  I tried to add them on but he refused to give me the space to do it.  And Ace went along with him.  So instead up popped this rift with sister, who now won't talk to him because he's gay and she's got kids, and he's in control of his mother's finances because husband #5 didn't trust her to handle them, herself.  And now Daniel's meeting up with Ace is a way of saving his sanity...by appearing to be slightly insane...so no one will think he's really insane, since he isn't even though some people think he is.  It makes sense in the context of the story.

I hope.

Right now I'm reworking Daniel's and Van's first meeting, where Daniel's completely nude and trying to call the cops when Van walks in and thinks the exact wrong thing.  Which leads to things getting off on the wrong foot, completely.

It's funny, but I can picture the models I'm using for Daniel, Van and Tad doing and saying things as I write them.  I don't know if this makes it any easier...but it is more fun.

Now back to the writing.  I want 37,500 words before I finish, tonight.

No comments: