Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Roundabout return

I took that different route home and am glad I did.  It's a lovely drive, for the most part -- lots of twists and turns past shallow rivers of quick rapids between short mountains topped by leafless trees along a divided highway that cuts through the granite of some of those hills, revealing some elegant, jagged formations at 45 degree angles, where occasional flat streams of water whisper out from them and cascade down to the dirt -- and it gave me some ideas for Daniel's character.

Like when I got off the 87 to head for the 17 North -- it looks like you're must missing having to pay a toll...but no; it's $1.25 to get off the road.  All vehicles.  No exceptions.  And Daniel huffed at it, so I put in how he hates to pay tolls, especially since he's driving a rented vehicle.

I also found a better explanation for Daniel to go to this cabin instead of just stay in NYC, himself; and ways to make Mrs. Serff (the caretaker's wife) into more of a character.  I'm at the point in the story, right now, where another character comes in and starts messing with Daniel.  And soon chaos begins.

This was a tiring weekend -- it's 400 miles each way to NYC -- but it's done.  I only got a bit of writing accomplished -- more rewriting was handled, actually -- but the ideas that I've had are working neatly.  And since I don't work Thanksgiving Day, I'll use that time to catch up on my word count.

Now I'm beat.  Time for bed.

No comments: