Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Two beers and I'm a chatterbox

I drove down to NYC to have Dinner With A Friend (who was very cute) and discuss my writing..and I can only hope I made sense.  We met at the Heartland Brewery in the Empire State Building and I did most of the talking.  Seriously, I got to chattering so much, I could easily have come across as caught in dementia.  More on this later.  Right now, I'm on LD and more ideas have been offered for it.

I'm finally beginning to think I might make it to 50K in wordage.  Daniel and Ace floated new possibilities for additions to the story, and another serendipitous moment surfaced.  When I worked out the Google Map directions to my hotel in Secaucus (which turned out to be wrong once I got here and got so lost, I had to get off the freeway and use surface streets to find my way), I asked it to print out directions home.  What came up was a different route, right through the area where I'd set the Lyons' Den, so I'm driving home that way, just to see what it's like.  I may find out it's wrong and I need to relocate, so better to work it now than later.  But what was fun is how it just popped up all on its own.  So...do I thank Daniel, Ace or even Van for that one?  (Names make sense in the context of the story.)

You know, a lot of the drive between Buffalo and NYC is beautiful.  In Pennsylvania you pass through a huge nature preserve of some kind, with the freeway cut into shale formations that are mesmerizingly beautiful.  I also saw why the Delaware Water Gap is so fantastic -- I mean it's nice going north (I drove the route when traveling back from a job in NYC, after my encounter with the Tea Party Lady in Maryland), but going south is spectacular.  And New Jersey is just gorgeous.  Photos of the Gap will follow.

So...my little Honda's been Manhattanized.  I wonder if it's okay?

No comments: