Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Verrrrrrrrrry interrrrrrrrresting

Daniel DOES like Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails.  And Ministry.  All that Industrial Rock milieu.  It fits his bleak side, the well into which he dips his pen for Ace's cynicism.  That little "Ride 'Em Cowboy" moment was a joke...that may play into the reason he and Tad broke up.  I've got a scene half written in my head about a party with a drag queen doing Faith Hill singing a duet with a drag king doing Tim McGraw, and Daniel's comment is brutal.

Hmm...maybe this is my nervous breakdown story.  There always was a dark steak to Daniel that winds up being confronted by Van's sunshine and light even as chaos screams around him.  I wonder if that causes an imbalance to the story.  It's not light enough to be farce...and yet..."Arsenic and Old Lace" is about a couple of sweet little old lady serial killers played for slapstick comedy.  And Daniel's ragged edges now call for something more than mere humor and a slow-growing psychosis.  Especially if I decide to play it like it's all happening in his head.

Thing is, that's beginning to sound like black comedy...and that's not one of my favorite genres.  I wasn't too thrilled with "Prizzi's Honor" or "Heathers".  BUT...I did like "Sunset Boulevard" and "A Clockwork Orange"...and I think the last two worked for me because of the outlandish reality of the characters, while in the first two the characters were simply real and doing things that caused serious damage.  Maybe black humor needs that extra step of separation between life and surreality for it to work for me.  Meaning take things a step farther...like the twittery old killer queens in "Arsenic..."

So...Daniel...what's your take on this?

No comments: