Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Concentration

Not easy to come by.  Caring for my mother.  Helping my little brother get back in the job-search game.  The non-stop nastiness of the heat.  Hell, even dealing with the ridiculous way San Antonio has designed its streets...I swear they searched for morons to handle traffic flow and such.

For example, I found out a Starbuck's is open till midnight at The Forum, a wide-open shopping area of minimal tress under the baking sun at Loop 1604 and I-35.  But somehow the four corners of this apocalyptic freeway quadrant are seen as separate worlds or something.  The planet I needed to get to is the northeast section, and I was coming from the south along I-35.  Should've been no problem, right?

WRONG!

The first time I came out here, I wound up halfway to Randolph Air force Base (to the east) before realizing I wasn't gonna get to where I needed to go, committed an illegal U-turn and found my way back onto 1604 and headed for I-35...and I was halfway to Nacogdoches Road (to the west) before realizing you can't turn from here to there to get to where you wish you were from where I did.  I finally managed to turn around, get back on 1604, find the frontage road that sort of works and make it off to this road that rounds The Forum...and has stop signs every 50 feet, but that lead me to the Starbucks.

So I figure, "Okay, now I know where it is, I'll find my way better next time."  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  I wound up on 1604 going East and had to turn around and get back on that same damned road of non-stop stop signs.

This time I found there's a trick to it.  You get on the frontage road by I-35 going north at O'Connor, go through two stop lights, stay on the frontage road past the I-35 entrance and pass the Randolph exit and head to get onto 1604 West but don't do it.  You get off the entrance onto ANOTHER frontage road and that takes you to another light which puts you just past the Starbucks...so all you have is two stop signs to go through before you get to it.

You can't blame this on the cow trails that designate the older part of this damnable town; this is all brand new and preposterous.

BUT...I got just as lost and confused in New Jersey trying to find my way to a La Quinta by the Meadowlands back in November, so I can't say it's just SA.  It's just people being fucking stupid and not taking into account that all these little twists and turns and directions they sort of post are being read by people driving by at 50 and 60 mph and having to make split-second decisions on what to do when they haven't the slightest idea of what is and is not right.  There's no need for it.

Venting done.  Maybe I'll use this in a remake of "Duel", but instead of a guy in the middle of nowhere being attacked by the nameless trucker, it'll be him and this trucker caught in the spaghetti bowl from hell in the ugliness of San Antonio's northside.  True nightmare that.

Right now?  Working on getting a durable power of attorney to handle mom's affairs and prepare her for a nursing home.  Meaning I'll be here the whole month of August.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.

No comments: