Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Grrr....

Seems the second I'm ready to dump Firefox because of the trouble it's giving me, I find out the IRS has their site configured for that or Internet Explorer, only.  So if I want to start paying my back taxes online, I have to keep FF or get IE.  This does not put me in a happy place, no sir.  But I tried Safari and it won't recognize any info input.

I'm just doing a spell-check and shipping LD off to the publisher's as final.  I have no idea what's going to be happening in San Antonio (though it sounds like my sister and little brother have things back under control), but I don't want to get into a situation where I have to do that, anyway, and at the last minute.  Besides, I can rewrite a story to death...so it's better to cut it off.

A friend raised the question of how I would feel if someone wanted to buy the film rights to LD and make it into a movie, since I first wrote it as a screenplay and then a play.  What's been interesting about the process of turning the story into a book is...how crappy my original script seems, now.    I've gained a hundred times more depth in my characters and their relationships with each other by digging into them on the page, and I feel like I've only just begun to do them justice.

I mean, granted, I wrote the script to be done on the cheap...but I didn't realize just how cheap my writing was and how locked into a rut on the story I'd become.  Now?  Now I can let it go because I know it's strong...and no matter what happens with the movie, my book will be available to show what's honest and true about the characters.  So...now I'm picturing Charlie David as Daniel, Chad Allen as Van and Cheyenne Jackson as Tad.  Not too big of a dream, is it?

Writing is a fascinating way of re-imagining the world.  I've done that in art, down to the point of abstract-expressionism, but always liked a polished form of near photo-realism, the type where it looks like a photograph on first glance but is revealed to be painted.  I guess I've worked my way into a narrative version of the same style.  A lot of what happens in LD is hard and cold, but at the same time other aspects are farcically over the top and I think they work well together.  Simply because life swings from despair to joy to fear to power to beauty to calmness to disrepute to anything else you can imagine...and this book reflects Daniel's life to perfection.

That said, I miss the addition of music and image to fill the story in even more, but I also enjoy trying to make those two aspects a part of the reading experience, anyway.  And I think I caught it once or twice.  Guess we'll see when it finally hits the stores.

Oh, dear...pink eye may be watering, still, but part of the wet on my face is tears at realizing my baby is all grown up and about to go out into the world on his own.  *Sniffle*

No comments: