Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rollercoaster

Going back to tatters, it seems.  I'm beginning to feel like I got the financial-disaster aspect of Mozart down pat but somehow forgot to include the genius part.  I hate it when that happens.  But that's me all over, again.

Mozart wrote brilliant music for over 30 years and changed the course of symphonies and operas...but he never was able to make a living at it and wound up being buried in a pauper's grave.  At least his music lives on.  Me...I'll be lucky if I even get buried when I die, and I doubt my work will be read as classic literature in a hundred years.

I whine about this because if my mother dies, the funeral and burial will cost over $6000...and that's for a cheapie.  She doesn't even have half that much put back, has no insurance and Social Security only gives $255 towards a burial.  She can't die, yet, because we can't afford it.  And everyone who owes me money is pleading poverty so can't (or won't) pay up.  My own damn fault for letting it get to that point, but still...

Maybe mom sort of realized the situation, because she's begun taking her medication, again, and went to see her kidney doctor.  And she's agreed to let them put a feeding tube into her stomach so we can get some nutrients into her.  Total turnaround from two days ago.

I got all this just before I left for Chicago.  I'm only here the one night; if all goes well, I'm slated to leave at 9pm tomorrow evening.  BUT...thunderstorms are expected late in the afternoon.  I can just see myself getting stuck here overnight, again, like I was at O'Hare.  I don't think I'll be nice about it, because my younger brother's complete indifference to what's going on with our mother is driving me close to murder.

Helps to have a vicious book to write and vent into.

No comments: