Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

That devil sun...

...kicked me around, today.  I got WAY too much if it over the last few days, including some burn, and right now I ache and my stomach is uneasy and I had to take a nap when I got home from work.  I woke up after nearly 2 hours, meaning tonight will be a pain when it comes to getting to sleep...or not.  I may still crash.

THIS is what comes from not following your own advice to people -- wear a hat and sunblock or carry an umbrella to keep the worst of it off you.  But the truth is, I wasn't planning to do as much walking around as I did and before I knew it, I was already too far gone for any of that to make a difference.  And it always takes a couple of days to build up to its worst.  Dumb.

Tomorrow I'm off so will take it easy...except I need to do laundry.  I used to have clothes enough to keep me for two weeks, but somehow that's dropped to 8 days, considering how many have worn out or been ruined at work.  And I haven't bought new clothes since I got up here...so maybe it's time.  New shoes, too...if I can find the brand I like.

I've noticed the "talks" between the GOP and Democrats now includes cuts to Social Security.  Not outright cuts, no...just cuts to cost of living adjustments which will impact the poorest and many of the middle class elderly the most.  AARP's guy said they'd consider changes and sure enough, here they come, right on schedule.  And let's not even discuss what they're planning for Medicare.  What's worse is, the Democowards are going along with it.  Talk about depressing.

My grandmother was right.  Thirty years ago she said Republicans were for the rich man and didn't care about anyone else.  And she ranted at how they had wanted to kill Social Security since its inception.  She worked as a nurse for 30 years and it was only the last 5 years of her job that she made a decent wage; before that, she always had to take extra jobs during her two week vacations, going home with newborn babies and getting them to sleep through the night in nothing flat...which is a trick she knew and never shared.  I don't think she had any real time off till she retired at the age of 70...and she died when she was 79.  It's wrong...but that was the reality.  And the fucking GOP wants to send us back to a time when people didn't even get that much.

I don't know if I believe in hell, but for scum like them, I sure hope there is one.

No comments: