Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Back in the saddle

I just finished adding 8 pages to POS and feel good. They aren't the best work I've done, yet, but they're a solid beginning for the shift in Brendan's character while in Houston. And once again, we went wandering into some surprising areas. It's weird but I almost felt like I hadn't stopped writing on it. We'll see how long this lasts.

Something else I found was Van Morrison was big in Northern Ireland because he was born in Belfast, and his "Astral Weeks" album came out in 1968. I thought it was later. I haven't paid much attention to what pop music was preferred in the area because so much else has to be gleaned from the details I'm jamming into my brain. I'm already beginning to feel the need for a serious de-fragging.

Anyway, I saw some old clips of him singing "Gloria" and "Baby Please Don't Go" on some British version of "American Bandstand" (thanks to YouTube) and thought he'd be interesting to use as background music for my characters. For instance, Joanna would probably love these two songs but not be crazy about the music on "Astral Weeks" because it's so experimental and moody and elegant, while Brendan...he'd be intrigued...maybe...no, no, he's telling me that's the kind of thing his older brother, Eamonn, would like, to make him feel even cooler than he already seemed to Bren. And Brendan would listen to it to be close to Eamonn but not get it. That's why he's so into the Johnstons.

I've also verified in my own mind that half the reason Irish Catholics are so bound up in their history and lineage is because they were made to feel inferior, even though they had their own Earls and Lords and such, some of whom were even at court in London back in the 16th and 17th centuries. Because of that and the massive focus on being of your clan, many will trace themselves back to an O'Neill or O'Donohue member of Irish royalty to counter the condescension. Like anyone who's been made to feel like nothing.

I don't think I have all of it down, yet, but I'm getting...well...SOMEplace with it. Step by baby step.

No comments: