Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fashion Week!

It begins tomorrow, September 8-15, and I'll be right in the middle of it since I'm flying down to NYC the morning of the 12th. No wonder it was hard finding a hotel room in the city. I'll actually be staying in New Jersey, just across the river by the Meadowlands. Something tells me this will be the epitome of desolation.

I've been rethinking a few things about Brendan. Mainly because I found this --
Alice Cooper in their Glam Rock period, not long before David Bowie came out with "Life on Mars". I can't see my guy ever actually dressing like this, not even for Hallowe'en. It'd take too much time and effort for something that doesn't really mean anything to him.

No writing done on POS but some reading. I couldn't get my head around laying down words on a page in any meaningful way, today; too much crap at the job...half of which is just me getting back into the groove of going to work for 8 hours after having been away from it for nearly 7 weeks during a difficult time.

I spoke with a friend who lives in Austin, today, and apparently not only is the city almost circled by fires, there isn't enough water in Travis Lake to even go boating let alone fight the blazes. There are some real concerns the city will run out of water in a few months if there isn't rain of a goodly amount. And where is Rick Perry? In California bullshitting along with the rest of the GOP crowd after making a ten minute stop to look like he gave a damn. Now bear in mind, this is the same man who helped slash state assistance to fire departments from $39 million a year to $7 million in the middle of the worst drought in Texas history. To call him a snake would be an insult to reptiles.

Oh, and they started this news broadcast off with, "It's eleven o'clock; do you know where your children are?" I remember hearing that on WOAI in San Antonio forty years ago and even then I thought it rather condescending. Not at all what a TV News station ought to be doing.

This is why I don't watch the news, anymore -- it just pisses me off or irritates me. But I wanted to see about the rain in NYC since some of the books I'm dealing with next week are being picked up at 10:30 am...and I got butkis. Back to the interweb for my info.

And they wonder why no one pays attention to old form media, anymore.

No comments: