Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

I done did it

Well...I'm off the wagon. I spent today working on a script for a promotional video that's meant to introduce a billion-dollar company that's unknown by most people...and it burst open my dreams of writing screenplays. I'm doing a rewrite of one and injecting it with my new sense of farce and chaos, at least, as much as I can. I know of a couple that would benefit from it.

I know, I know, it's ridiculous. It's a waste of time. It's chasing shadows into the darkness. But the truth is, I crave it like a junkie craves heroin. I guess I'll be one of those guys who dies and leaves behind a hundred scripts that people think, "Hm, this could make a good project," and they get done and are wildly successful, and I'll get zip from it because I'm dead and won't know or care. "A Confederacy of Dunces" wasn't published till long after the author's suicide and it won the Pulitzer. Oh well, at least I'll have my books out there, too...though I seriously doubt any of them will be Pulitzer Prize material. Besides, I have too much baggage for people to take me seriously, like that.

I dream about it, of course. Hell, sometimes I dream about having an Oscar, Emmy, Tony, Pulitzer, Nobel Prize for Literature, Golden Globe and even a Grammy, just so I can say I have them and beat Alfred Uhry, who's one of the few writers to have the big three -- Tony, Oscar and Pulitzer. Sort of a Fuck you to the people who put my work down or want me to change it to suit them.

Dreams are good. Actions are better. Hence...I keep writing and dreaming, no matter what.

No comments: