Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I hear ducks

I'm in The Meadowlands, New Jersey, at an Extended Stay hotel that's fairly nice. The mattress isn't so great but it's on the firm side so I'm happy with it. What makes me happier is the fridge and microwave in the mini kitchen. I got milk, DP on ice, cold water in the fridge, nukables in the freezer; I'm in hog heaven. What surprises me is my window looks out over a marshland (with MetLife Stadium in the near distance; is that Yankee Stadium?) and ducks have settled in for the night. Probably migrating.

Unfortunately, this is one of those packing jobs that's become an exhausting nightmare. I worked until nearly midnight, last night, to get one stage of it done so I could focus on the second stage...and this one is threatening to become just as demanding if I want to get it done it time. I was told to expect 1500 books; I'd swear it's closer to 2000. Here I thought I'd over-ordered on boxes and packing materials and it looks like I'll be just right, instead. May even have to use some of the client's trash to finish stuffing the boxes. We are not happy about that.

I'm asking the people I'm working with for an assistant for the next couple of days. Otherwise I'm working through the weekend, and I do NOT want to.

BTW, do not trust Google maps. I don't know what it is with them, but they come up with some of the weirdest ways to get to places in their suggestions. Like this morning -- I take the NJ3 east to the 495 heading for the Lincoln Tunnel and get off at the last exit. Then I have to do this elaborate U to get down to JFK Boulevard. But you can't, not the way they showed. The street is no longer there. So I did a round-about to head back to where I'd started off the 495 and found a road that paralleled JFK and followed that to a street that cut across to JFK...and got to where I needed to. Truth is, I think it would have been easier for me to go left instead of right, when Google told me to, and connected with JFK that way. Plus, JFK seems to be a more direct route than driving down Port Imperial Boulevard to River Road, like they'd suggested. I'll find out tomorrow.

No writing done. Dammit. Just a few notes for moments in the story. And right now it's hard to be coherent. A tub of hot water is calling my name. Be right there.

No comments: