Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mr. Meanderer

New characters have popped up, and an old one has taken a new turn...to what, I'm not yet certain. I'm just following the crumbs laid down by Brendan, leading me through the forest. I can't let him get too far ahead because the crumbs might vanish, again, and I'll be lost trying to find my way back to where I began. But it is a fun journey, so far.
A secondary character, to whom I'd given a new Austin 1300 to drive, decided she wanted an old Vauxhall like this, instead, and a semi-detached home in Greggan. Hmph.

I went looking for the name of the hooded wool coat I wore when we lived in London and can't figure it out, so went with a parka for Brendan. I need to drop calling it an Anorak because that didn't start happening till the early 80s.

Brendan's also turned into a feisty little critter in some ways. And also more aware, something I'd wanted him to be but felt held back by the limitations he'd put on himself. It's like he's peeled back another layer of the onion and I can see, now, what will make him more than just a kid wanting to make his own way in life and be left alone.

I'm up over 44,000 words on this section, 193 pages, and I'm nervous about the way I have everyone talking and interacting and presenting the things that matter to them and what doesn't. I don't think I have enough religion going on, since Brendan's Catholic...albeit not extremely so. Still the church ruled in Derry's Bogside mainly because it was the main point for social interaction and connection and identity against the Protestant crap.

Enough, already.

I made French toast for dinner for the first time in years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Used honey as my syrup. I'm using up all my leftovers since I'll be heading out for nearly two weeks for the California Fairs, starting in San Francisco.

I am so ready...but I don't want to come home to a moldy fridge.

No comments: