Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Can't forget Ace

He's the narrator of "The Lyons' Den" and Tad's doppelganger, and he would not be happy if left out of the sketches. So I worked him up while watching "Dancing With The Stars" and "Castle".

I started watching DWTS partly because my mother was religious about it. She used to teach dancing and had some minor success as a dancer before she was married. Then she taught dancing after she and my father got divorced and while we lived in England, with my stepfather. She still loved to watch dancing on TV as well as live performances when she could.

She tried like crazy to get me interested in it, but I could not have cared less. I did catch some routines on DWTS that were interesting, but for the most part it wasn't much to me. A couple of the professional dancers were cute...like Mark Ballas...but that wasn't enough to make me watch.

When she died in August, I was in my ignoring-TV mode, again, so didn't even know there was a new season of the show coming up till I happened to catch an article in a magazine that William Levy was going to be on it. He's a Cuban actor in Telenovelas and is one of those impossibly beautiful men, so I watched the first show out of curiosity to see what he was like in action, then decided to watch it all the way through in memory of my mother.

That's a funny reason to stick with a program, but it gave me just enough impetus to pay attention and see there were some excellent dancers on the show...and that William Levy was sort of a lunk, except when he knew the camera was on him. Mark Ballas, however, was still adorable and had serious chemistry with his opera singer partner.

I won't say I'm hooked on the show (the male professionals strike poses in the middle of routines that are just ridiculous to me) but I am going to watch it through this season. And while it's on, do more sketching. I guess that could be reason enough to keep going, even though it's close to the end of this season.

Of course, it might also have to do with the fact that William Levy wore a pair of pants during his second dance, tonight, that made me rethink his lunkiness.

I can be so shallow. Ace agrees, with a smirk.

No comments: