Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lion is not easy

The first thing I noticed about using Lion OS is how I have to reverse my scrolling...meaning, if I want to scroll down a page, I have to make the cursor go down whereas I used to make it go up. And it's taking me forever to get used to that. I'll try to go down a page and nothing will happen till I remember I now need to flip my plan of action. It's irritating.

Turned out the PhotoShop I thought I had to install on my laptop is for PCs. So I only have that and Word available on my desktop. Meaning until I get my butt in gear and buy Office for Mac, I can't do any writing on the road. Well, maybe in TXT files. They're awkward but doable, I guess. I'll have to check into that.

I'm dancing around writing a chapter between Jake and his mother because I don't know how to get into it, yet. I don't know who she is, yet, except for the snippets from the previous books. But one reason he winds up in the middle of the mystery is because she called his father, her ex-husband, and no one knows why. Jake finds out because his step-mother finds out and wonders if the call was about him. then he gets a cryptic message from his Uncle Owen and it begins.

I almost wonder if I'm taking too long to get into the story by doing it this way, but the flow feels right and I hate to change anything until I have to. Maybe I'll let it sit till I'm done with one last go-over on IF. I got a bit of push-back in response to my unhappiness about being rewritten, but I said flat out that I'd do one last pass on it and that was it. And if I was to send it out to publishers, that was the version that was going.

But now it seems there have been significant changes to aspects of the story, and he's saying he did it because it didn't work within the reality of the times and places. Now I'm in a wary spot...and half of me wants to say, "Fine. Take it and good luck." But the other half says, "You did a shitload of work on this story and it'd be a shame to waste it." So I guess I'll do that polish and make it work and this is the last time I'm doing anything along these lines.

From now on, if you wanna fuck me, you gotta buy me dinner and movie, first.

No comments: