Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Finished one thing

One promise made has been fulfilled. Took much of the day and a bit of panic when I couldn't find the initial part of it on my laptop, but since I'm prone to backing everything up forty-seven times, I located it on a disk and completed it and sent it on its way.

Now I'm reading a book for a reading group I belong to, and I like the premise -- 2 aliens come to Earth, one a criminal, one a cop on his tail, and both have to deal with the elements (a nasty heat wave that messes with their metabolism) and humans (who one wants to make into a recreational drug; guess which). It's already proven pretty brutal, but that's no problem.

That said, I do have a bit of problem with the writer's style. He tends to repeat himself when laying out the scene in ways that add nothing. This irritates me because it's something I have to keep watch for in my own writing. It's not a conscious thing; it's just a lack of attention being paid in the rewrite...and was pointed out that I'm doing it by the one and only bit of feedback I've gotten for "The Alice '65". But that comes tomorrow.

So...here are a couple photos of Maine --

This one is from the balcony outside my bedroom in the B&B. That's a light snow on the ground from the night before. It's pretty, but it's in the middle of nothing. The nearest restaurant is 8 miles away, and that's just a sandwich shop...that does serve a decent burger.
 This is from the balcony outside the room I was packing in. Very nice if you're retired or a writer and need minimal distractions. I'm sure it's also a great area to walk your dog in. But much of the scenery reminded me of the Ring of Kerry, and that was so exquisitely beautiful, Maine pales in comparison.

That or I'm getting to be jaded.

No comments: