Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

So here we go...

I'm printing up A65 to start the rewrite, as I type this. It's late, so I won't get started on it till tomorrow...but I spent much of the day completing my finances and finishing up some business with the last shipment. I'm $750 bucks in the hole, but I think I've worked out how to handle that.

What's so nice is how the cost of everything is going up -- rent, health insurance, car insurance, everything except my salary. Typical. Now enough of the whining.

I got a second bit of feedback on A65, and none of the comments overlapped with the other one I received. I never know what to make of that. If I get more, maybe that will help hone in what the problems are. As of now, I'm going to focus on making the changes I came up with on my own.

I already plan to make Adam more proactive in the second half of the script. And I had a pretty good idea I needed to clarify Casey's mother, more. Plus some of the dialogue is still a bit chit-chatty and repetitive. So there's a lot to do before I work in the commentaries.

I got episodes 5-8 of the first season of "Teen Wolf", an MTV series based on the Michael J Fox movie, and it's interesting to compare it with "Being Human". Not doing too well. I've already seen one glaring difference -- fear of making your characters too honest and real.

In BH, Mitchell's a killer, and in season 2 he goes nuts and slaughters a lot of innocent people. But by the end of the series, you still care about him...because he cares about George and Annie, and he'll do anything he must to protect them. His is a complex character and fascinating because of it.

In TW, there's a point where it looks like they're going to do the same thing -- have Scott, the teen wolf, murder an innocent man in a school bus...but they back off that and it looks like Derek, another werewolf played by a pair of cheekbones, did it...but they back off that, too (I guess because he's tall, dark, and brooding), and it becomes a third unknown werewolf who did it -- the  alpha male of the pack. I felt let down.

Another problem I'm having is the actors. Scott (Tyler Posey) is the guy in the middle of the photo with his shirt a bit open, Derek (Tyler Hoechlin) is the one who's kneeling, the girl in the heels is the class bitch (Holland Roden), the girl with her mouth open is the good girl (Crystal Reed), the guy holding Scott's arm is the class asshole (Colton Haynes), and the one with his ass pointed at the camera is Scott's best buddy and comic relief, Stiles...Dylan O'Brien, who is the only actor of the group who has any talent or charisma. It's too bad he isn't playing Scott; it'd be ten times better.

Not that I'm judgmental, or anything.

No comments: