Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Artwork beginning...

I've worked out 12 pictures to do for "David Martin", and I'm thinking pen and ink.

1. David feeding the fox and her kits.
2. David sees the knight and his troop.
3. The knight leading David away from the village, the troop marching behind them.
4. The couple laughing at David in the Inn.
5. David helping the knight save the couple from robbers.
6. David and the knight ride side by side, no more troop.
7. The farmer and his family laugh at David's sorcery story.
8. David and the knight camp out under shooting stars.
9. David and the bear.
10. David saves Emily
11. David sees the castle for the first time.
12. The long hall filled with the king's court...all of them looking at David.

Then there's a summary bit of something for cover art and another piece to put on the back cover to go with the teaser.

14 images. Nothing much.

I do think I'll work up the cover art in colored pencil. I like the tender feeling of it.

Now I need to figure out what David looks like. So far, he's just 12 years old and dark-haired. Nothing special about him, and since he lives in poverty, his tunic's worn and his shoes are minimal. The knight's easy, as is Emily. And the troop is just guys with spears and helmets and tunics.

I did a version of David several years back that I never really liked; it seemed too much like Young Robin Hood. Don't want that. He has to be "just David."

Guess we'll see what I come up with, tomorrow.

No comments: