Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Charlie Chan at the Opera

I've seen this movie a dozen times and I'm gonna watch it, again. This is the one where they actually had a fake opera written by Oscar Levant, and it has Boris Karloff as a crazed former opera star whose ex-wife tried to kill him...so he goes after her. It's got all the cliches of the time, as regards how Chinese people are portrayed, but it flows so fast and easy and suspensefully and Chan is actually the most decent guy in the story so he actually undercuts people's prejudices.

I'm in one of my usual moods, where I don't want to do anything. Didn't help that I had a nasty day at work...mainly due to my own fuck-ups. I'm no good at detail-oriented jobs like this, where you have to do everything just right or someone's shipment gets stopped at customs. I need a job where I can be an abstract artist by day and writer by night. Yeah, big demand there.

So...since I'm never gonna win the lottery and won't inherit anything in the way of great wealth, how do I change the direction I'm drifting in?

No comments: