Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Got my ending...

I was packing up a library of illustrated books from the 19th Century when Carli and Zeke came to me with the ending for CARLI KILLS. And it's a toughie. It also keeps the action down to 3 main locations -- an isolated house in the desert, the desert, and a bar called Cantina Madraza. Seriously, everything happens around there. That's about as low-budget as you can get.

Except...one of the two buildings burns to the ground while surrounded by cops. I'll write it in such a way that you don't have to see anything more than the flashing lights in the darkness, and actually witness a cop car or two, but the big fight at the end happens there and just about everybody dies.

It's funny -- I set out to write a horror film, but this is now an action-suspense piece with horror elements in it. What Carli does to a couple of bad guys is not what you'd want in a mainstream film. And what happens between Zeke and the sheriff is not gonna be easy to take.

So...once again, I have my beginning and my ending. Now I just need to marry the two up. That's where the fun will be. I'd work on it more, here, but I'm finding using Word to write a script is just too damn hard.

I've avoided seeing KILL BILL because I'm just not a Tarantino fan, but this story has elements of what I think are in that movie, so I guess I'll have to...if only to make certain I don't hew too closely to it.

I'm on the downhill side of a cold, right now, so it's hard to even keep awake, let alone write anything coherent. 

4 comments:

Michael said...

I'm not much of a Tarantino fan either but I enjoyed Kill Bill a lot actually.

Have you ever seen a film called "I Spit On Your Grave"?
It's a disgusting, vile film that is VERY difficult to watch but it does have a similar concept of a woman on a violent rampage of revenge. They did a remake of it a few years ago that was just as brutal. The remake didn't get a lot of attention but the original is infamous.

JamTheCat said...

Oh, shit...I'd forgotten about "I Spit..." I think I saw it years ago, in college, and paid no attention to the remake. I'll have to check that out. I was into a heavy duty phase of horror then -- "Halloween", "Friday the 13th", "Phantasm", a couple whose names I can't remember...but one dealt with cannibals in the desert and had the phrase, "Baby's belly, mmm."

Of course, one part of my inspiration is Ingmar Bergman's "Virgin Spring"...about a father taking revenge on the men who raped and murdered his daughter. Which, as I understand it, was remade as "The Last House on the Left", of all things.

Michael said...

The film you're thinking of is "The Hills Have Eyes".
I've seen "Last House" of course. Very difficult to watch but a favorite of mine. At least as far as the really, really dark stuff goes. It also had a decent remake though it was considerably toned down. I've heard of "Virgin Spring" but have never seen it. I'll have to add it to my watch list. If you liked "The Hills Have Eyes" another really creepy weird horror film from the same director (Wes Craven) is "The People Under the Stairs" if you haven't seen it. It's a little campy though.

JamTheCat said...

Thanks for the title! It was a fun one.

I've never seen ""People Under the Stairs". I'll add that to my Netflix list.