Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, April 28, 2013


I've got the music theme for "Carli Kills" -- "Romance de Amor". Leitmotif, if you will. I first heard Charo play this on some talk show, when I was a kid, and it was the first time I'd seen how serious she was about guitar. Her rendition was exquisite. These guys are a bit over the top near the end...but their lead-in adds immeasurably to the melody.

This came up as I was working on the scene below...when it's revealed Carli has a some backup -- a boy who used to be in love with her sister.
___________________________________

EXT. NARROW CANYON - DAY

Tall and winding. A GUITAR ECHOES down its walls. A cool college kid -- TRAVIS BIGGERS, the epitome of a budding rock star -- sits in a corner. Plays a lovely original melody on an acoustical guitar. Beside him -- a digital recorder and mike.

He stops the recorder and takes a hit off a joint. FOOTSTEPS APPROACH.

TRAVIS
It work okay?

Carli appears around a bend.

CARLI
Perfect.

He holds up a memory chip.

TRAVIS
Pop this in and keep yours. I got a professor who says, If I’m gonna take out two recorders, I gotta have two chips filled with music.

CARLI
The song you were playing -- it’s beautiful.

TRAVIS
It's for my final. I...I got some words for it.
(plays)
The day I met you was the first day of my life. The love in your eyes cut me deeper than a knife. I'd never leave you, and so you had to walk away. All I can do is love you till my dying day.

CARLI
-- Okay. Nice. A little top forty, but...

TRAVIS
Yeah, right. I’m a music major; we're supposed to be stupid and maudlin.

CARLI
Travis...the first three lines are exquisite.

TRAVIS
You’re just sayin’ that so I’ll keep borrowing school equipment for you.

He takes another drag on the joint. Offers her some. She just looks at him. He kills the weed.

TRAVIS (CONT’D)
Get what you needed?

CARLI
Yeah. I did.

TRAVIS
Don’t look so happy.

CARLI
Travis -- Lara was raped by four men. I thought I knew who all of them were, but I found out one of the guys couldn’t have been there.

TRAVIS
Which one?

CARLI
Zeke. His real name’s Zachary Karlos -- with a K -- Lindner.

TRAVIS
Somebody named their kid that? Some parents oughta be shot.

CARLI
But that's why I couldn't find out anything about him, except that he ran with Max, Grady, and Jack. So -- who was number four?

TRAVIS
Shit -- there’s nothing about Max dealing with anybody but those three losers.

CARLI
Zeke’s not a loser; he’s just lost.

Travis eyes Carli. Plays a melody like “Romance de Amor.” Carli glares at him.

CARLI
Shut up.

TRAVIS
I've given you everything I know, Carli. I had to practically fuck the dean's secretary to even get a look at the school's file on Lara's death. Did you ever get the sheriff's report?

CARLI
Lost. And I know why. JJ's the sheriff's nephew, and they both own that bar.

TRAVIS
Could JJ be number four? Or the Sheriff?

CARLI
No, I'm missing somebody. It's time to talk to Jack.

Travis stops playing.

TRAVIS
Need any help?

CARLI
No, he'll be easy.


No comments: