Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, April 15, 2013

More decisions made

It's time to move back to LA. I feel right when I'm here. This is home. And the only thing holding me back from it is me. So my new goal is to be back here by June of next year. That gives me time to gain some control over my finances and figure out how to make a living once I return. Doesn't matter how I do it, this is what I want.

Buffalo is okay, but I feel very isolated there. Running around today and seeing friends has shown me this town is the center of my world, and it's stupid for me not to be here. Cowardly, really.

So what this means is hunkering down and working out how to get writing jobs. It means upgrading my website and making better use of LinkedIn and IMDb and the like. It means cutting down on my expenses and building up a reserve to keep me going. It means bologna sandwiches for lunch and dinner, for a while, and ending the cable and land line, and cutting down on my own cell phone expenses.

It also means pushing my writing and rewriting abilities a lot better than I have in the past. No more freebies. No more spec. I'd already decided that, but now instead of just turning down jobs, I'm telling people I have a rate for a rewrite job and it must be met.

I good with character and dialog, and I can have fun with action. I'll work up a couple of low-end scripts, too, from things I already have written. They won't take much.

But I'm moving back to LA, come hell or high water.

No comments: