Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Jake's hard at work...

He wants me to finish this book. And the truth is, I should. Hell, by the time I'm done with it, it'll be close to a third draft. The only part that'll need a fair amount of polishing will be the "big reveal." That hasn't been written, yet, but it can't be until I have everything else set. So beginning tomorrow, I'm going through what I've got from beginning to end and making it consistent...and then I'll kick that out.

Thinking back on it, I took four or five years to complete HTRASG, and a good three years to do just the first two books of BC. So I guess I'm not all that slow. LD was a fifteen year project, if you include the initial screenplay and play. I can lose sight of what really happens when I write, because every book is new and different in how it comes together. Thusly, I convince myself that I'm having the worst trouble ever and it's never been this hard, before, and on and on and I wind up overindulging in the drama queen aspect of my life.

Of course, The Alice '65 incubated for a while in my head, but it really did shoot out once I started up that comedy writing class. Which apparently did me no good when it comes to writing comedy...except I did finish a first draft of the script in pretty quick time. I have a feeling, once I get back to it, I'll find lots of ways to make it better...especially if I use it as the basis for a novel during NaNoWriMo.

FRT also came together very quickly -- like in a week. But I'd deliberately set out to see if I could write a script that quickly, and got myself rather tipsy -- never drunk, but buzzed the whole time -- as I wrote. And the basis for the story has been consistent; it's mainly the details that changed. I got beer in the fridge; maybe I'll do it, again...maybe with Carly Kills.

So...on with The Vanishing of Owen Taylor and then...aw, who knows?

No comments: