Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Lemm kicked out the Mormons...

He didn't mean to, but it worked out better. I had a whole sub-plot working in OT about the Mormon Church and its massive financial backing of Proposition H8 in California. They formed an unlikely alliance with the Catholic Church and a number of Protestant ministries to flat out lie about what gay marriage meant, and won. Scared the hell out of people with the idea the fags would run rampant by being allowed the same protections as straight married couples. Kept going until the Supreme Court told them they were full of shit...sort of.

I was going to have them as part of the problem Jake faces in Palm Springs, but then Lemm changed the parameters in a way that it just doesn't work. I knew he'd be trouble the second he showed up, but I didn't expect him to start dictating plots. And yet, that's exactly what he's done. And Jake's backing him up.

I've got 181 pages reworked...which is almost halfway through what I have, so far. Clarity is forming within it, fortunately. That's one reason dumping the Mormon subplot was good; it was clouding the issues. Jake hated letting it go, because it let him remember a fling he had with a blond missionary...but he wants the story to work as much as I do.

If I gotta sacrifice, so do any characters in the windmills of my mind.

No comments: