Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Philadelphia...

Sometimes research works out. While I was in Philadelphia, I dropped by 30th Street Station to see if it aligned with what I'd written in Bobby Carapisi. Here's Eric's description --

She was right; the train was so easy. I hit Philadelphia just before noon and wandered into a station that is one of the loveliest in the world. Huge ceilings with art deco everywhere and so much space, it was like a cathedral. I mean, I liked Union Station, but it had been changed so much from when Hitchcock made “Strangers on a Train” that it was unrecognizable in the main lobby...except for the statues on high looking out over everything and the painted glass windows. But it could just as easily have been a bus station or airport terminal or even shopping mall, the way it was set up. Philadelphia’s was for trains, without question, and they were damn proud of it.

And here's how it actually looks --




It's like a transportation center, with trains shooting every direction. Someone was shooting a movie or TV show there, when I slipped in, and they had signs posted but also had extras poised to begin their striding and rushing about. It was a bit surreal, because I'm pretty sure half the people in there were regular travelers.

I haven't done anything on OT in a few days, but I'm feeling more like I should get back to it, again, so that's a good sign. And this trip to South Carolina, even though the temp's going to be in the 90s, it will be relatively leisurely. I'll have to get ready to bid on a packing job in NYC during it, but that's just going over a list and figuring out the time, materials and manpower needed to do it right.

I got an iPhone 4G, now, for work. So far...I like it but it's got its quirks. However, I now have all the music on my laptop connected to it, and I can do a lot of things in Cloud and link to my Mac accounts and check e-mails and even surf the web anyplace I can get a signal, so I'm a lot better off.

I guess my next step is get a similar phone with Sprint.

No comments: