Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

I think I just got insulted...

I submitted The Lyons' Den and Bobby Carapisi to Rainbow Book Reviews for a review on each...and after months of no response, they finally said, No. They didn't like the blurb/synopsis or something along those lines. So I asked if I could resubmit, and they said, No. Wouldn't do any good, so don't bother. But they will happily review something like Claim Me, Luna Werewolves 12 and Pixie of Frankenstein, both gay-themed books.

I honestly don't know how to take this. Was the blurb really that bad? Here's what I sent for The Lyons' Den --

Daniel knew exactly how to get Tad back - agree to rewrite eight horrible scripts in time for them to be pitched as a new series for cable. If the network went for it, he'd get a week in Bermuda to rebuild their love. If they didn't, he'd lose the guy forever.

Only thing was, Tad wanted to keep the rewrite super-hush-hush, so he insisted Daniel use his family's empty, isolated cabin in upstate New York to work. Reluctantly, Daniel agreed, but as he was being driven to it, a massive snowstorm blew in ... and that "isolated cabin" wound up the center of mystery, suspense, sex, betrayal, revenge, murder, fist-fights, shredded clothes, frostbite, gunfire, predatory females, an obnoxious caretaker, a hermit who hates everything, an epic snowstorm, a hot shower with people who don't exist, a blazing fireplace, a bizarre shower curtain, off-key TV music, secrets heard in shadows, crooked politicians, romance with the proper stranger, and more than a hint of paranoid-schizophrenia.

All in the space of two hours on a Friday night.
------
Here's the one for Life Lessons, Life Lessons 1 (which got a rave review) --

Tony Hart's life has been quiet lately. He has good friends and a rewarding teaching job. Then the murdered body of another teacher falls into the elevator at his feet, and Tony's life gets a little too exciting.

Jared MacLean is a homicide detective, a widowed father, and deeply in the closet. But from the moment he meets Tony's blue eyes in that high school hallway, Mac can't help wanting this man in his life. However Mac isn't the only one with his eyes on Tony. As the murderer tries to cover his tracks, Mac has to work fast or lose Tony, permanently.
------
So...did I screw up in my blurb? Am I so out of it that I made the story sound uninteresting? I honestly don't know; I thought I did good. Any suggestions?

Because that may be why the damn thing isn't selling.

2 comments:

MAC said...

I'm equally confused? You know I'm a fan of The Lyon's Den and the summary nails it... the twists and turns, the quirkiness, it's all there.

I've yet to read Life Lessons, but my interest is peaked.

Maybe they are looking for simple and concise? I'm at a loss.

JamTheCat said...

I said I'd rework the blurb...but they just said not to bother; it wouldn't make any difference. It's like they're saying the story doesn't even interest us.

So...I guess I'd better rework it to make it more interesting...or something. I;m just not sure what to do to make it so.