Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

It's good to get hungry

I've been trimming back how much I eat at a time. I've found I can easily put away a thousand calories in one meal...and feel full almost to the point of bloated. Like Thanksgiving every day. I think it stems from all the years I was told I had to clean everything on my plate, so did so. It took me a while to get to where I'd take home leftovers from meals -- except for enchilada dinners, since they normally come with 2 enchiladas. I like to divide the meal in half and eat one part, then the rest is for lunch, the next day. What's fun is, I even like that particular food cold.

Still, some meals you can't do that. Baked potatoes don't work warmed up, and french fries are only good for making hash-browns to go with eggs. Burgers are usually too much, even the small ones at 5 Guys. And salads just don't keep.

So I'm no longer eating out much...and when I do, I order as little as possible. I've been gaining too damn much weight, something exacerbated by my traveling which makes it damn hard to do leftovers or light meals. But when I'm at work or home, I eat very light. And it's finally beginning to tell. I've lost 5 pounds in the last week. Not a lot, but it's a reversal of the slow build in my girth.

I thought I'd blown it, last night, when I made scalloped potatoes. I went nuts and ate half of them; the other half made two separate servings. But...that's all I had for dinner, so it wasn't too bad. And I was hungry before I went to bed.

Today, I didn't eat till 2pm -- and had a bit of pulled pork and some mac and cheese at Wegman's. Not great, but I'd kept it small enough to where I was hungry-ish by 5:30. So had spaghetti and my own veggie sauce...and now it's 5 hours later and I'm starting to feel hungry-ish, again.

It seems that's the only way I'll lose weight; I'm not active enough to reboot my metabolism. Or maybe I'm too lazy to. I've never been one for exercise. Never been in great shape. I was lucky to be born thin and it wasn't till about 10-12 years ago I lost that equilibrium and began packing it on.  So now I just have to back away from the table and hope all will be well.

At least my cholesterol is good.

No comments: