Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Land of the lost...

That's how I feel when I can't get online, these days. I'm finally home, and as much as I complain about Verizon's Fios...it's a hundred times better than the last two hotels I stayed at in NYC. Last night, I'd try to kick up the internet...and ten minutes later it would come up. And I was never able to get on my e-mail service. That's ridiculous. I noticed the room was wired for ethernet cables, so I guess I'll bring one of those with me, from now on. Needless to add, I'm not dealing with Best Western or La Quinta in NYC, again.

Of course, during this I got a rough sketch of the cover for David Martin and couldn't look at it. Now that I have, it's very nicely done, emphasizing both the journey and solitude of David's days on the road. Can't wait to see it in color.

I've taken a hiatus from ...Owen Taylor and been reading Dumas' book. The Count now acknowledges he's popping pills combining opium and hashish. And people are complaining about the French government and cops in much the same way as people do, today. There's a casual reference to the crime rate in Paris -- 4 murdered over a weekend -- and this is in the Paris of 1835 or so. It's really quite illuminating.

One good thing about reading old books is you find out that nothing is new, or even recent, when it comes to drugs, death, and politics.

No comments: