Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Reality Bites

Hmph...apparently, if you want to work with Lightning Source to publish your book, you have to get their permission. I filled out the info asked for, thinking I was signing up to begin the process of making David Martin into a book...and when I was done, they said, "Thanks, we'll get back to you in a few days as regards your application."

It's not going to be an easy process. It could take as long as 3 months to get DM out into stores and available through Ingram. And I have to pay a fee of $12 per book to publish it, to start with; they won't tell me if there are any other costs...at least nowhere I can find. So much for Christmas.

Oh, well, it's my own damn fault for taking so long to get it going. No need to rush, now.

I'm also dealing with Smashwords...who provided a 30+ page booklet on how to publish through them. Wow. But thinking about it, Kindle wasn't that easy. It took nearly 6 weeks to get BC to come together right. Maybe I should try that one, first.

Looks like Hong Kong is off, this year, which is a bit of a relief. I didn't look forward to 18 hours in a plane, and I've seen all I wanted to of the town.

No work done on OT, today. Dealing with idiot clients who wait to ship something until it's really too late to meet their deadlines used up my creativity. Still, I feel good about the story, so far, now that I've shifted a bit of it around.

And it's gotten longer...but no surprise there, right?

No comments: