Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Starting to rush too much

One of my failings as a writer is I sometimes rush through my endings. I've been fighting to rid myself of that habit...or predilection...or whatever...but it keeps whispering around and taking control any time I'm not paying attention. So I now have too much happening and Jake is running around and it's not exactly bad, but I have to be careful. I may have too many power moments for one day.

Thing is, now that everything's fallen into place and he finally got the last link he needed, it would come crashing down. Fast. He's also racing the clock to keep people from thinking his uncle's a killer.

What's truly great is, I finally have an answer to the question that starts the story -- "Why does Jake stay with Antony?' I think it'll play just right...and may even become a bit obvious as the story unfolds.

I took a short break to work up an image for my page on the NaNoWriMo site, something fun and a bit trashy. I won't be able to use these models for the actual cover; I don't have the use rights for them...though I probably could get Logan to sell me his. I have no idea who the woman is.

But the juxtaposition of their two photos is so right for the story, I couldn't not do it. Took me 15 minutes in PhotoShop.

In Blood Angel I have a murderous vampire queen seduce a college kid, and I think she winds up sympathetic, even though she's a stone-cold killer. In Brand of Justice, I have Claire involved with her younger partner before she goes off the rails trying to protect her family. I'm going to see what I can get away with as regards Carly and Zeke.

I doubt it will be pretty.

No comments: