Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Am I the weak parts of Jake?

Jake Blaine is the lead in The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. He was backup to Antony St. Lazarre in both ...Holding Cell 6 volumes, and was the one decent, trustworthy guy in the whole story. Now that I've been exploring his history in OT and finding it links too strongly to what's happening in the book, I'm finding aspects of his life closely mirror mine, lately...and that's not necessarily a good thing.

He's cut himself off from members of his family who hurt him or condemn him. Like I've done. But he's strong enough to face them and forgive them and help them if they need it. And still keep his self-respect. Me...I just can't. I don't think people change...or really mean it when they say they're sorry, because I can hear the qualifying words they use to mitigate their apology.

That happens between Jake and his mother, whom I've never given a name to in the new book. She's making contact with him, again, because she's broke and in desperate need of help; it's obvious from the way the chapter is structured...and I think Jake realizes she's not really sorry but just in need, still, he's big enough to put that aside and help her. With conditions, but he does what he can.

I also have a hint of that near the end of ...Straight Guy. Curt was kicked out and had been on his own since he was seventeen and, once he's realized just how deeply he's dug the hole he's in, he wants to make sure his younger brother will be okay...and breaks down in tears when he realizes the kid grew up so much stronger than him, he can ignore the hate sent his way. Which neither Curt nor I can do.

In BC, Eric has no reason not to trust his family will back him up, so I don't understand why he doesn't. And going over the book, again, I realize it's never explained. Whereas, Bobby's big loving family turns their backs on him...and he doesn't even think to ask them for help because he knows it won't be forthcoming. I've got one entire section of the family I feel that way about. I'm still confused about that dichotomy.

Hmph...I beginning to think Jake is the most powerful character I've ever joined up with...and I have to wonder where the hell he came from.

No comments: