Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

BC is on its way...

Okay...Bobby Carapisi's reboot is officially out of the gate. It will be available in paperback and e-book within the next few days. All is settled...and wouldn't you know it -- I found two typos as I was glancing it over. These were in the original books, and for all the times I've gone through the story, I never saw them until now. Both were an extra word that made no sense, where I'd changed the form of the sentence but neglected to erase all of the part I'd reworked.

I corrected it in the manuscript, so if I do ever offer another version, at least that will be correct. But it makes my head hurt...not to mention my eyes.

This evening was spent working on a query letter. After a couple dozen rewrites, I've taken it as far as I can, tonight. I'm letting it sit till the 1st, to give me some space from it. Then I'll dig in, again, and keep honing. And checking for typos.

I'm also reading Flashman and the Mountain of Light during my interludes on the throne...and it is funny. I've had four good laughs and I'm just up to page 49. Flashman is, basically, the history of the British Empire as related by a cowardly scoundrel who still, somehow, keeps winding up a hero. I read the first one, years go, and it was wild, but I haven't read the rest. I think I will; it's fun seeing how George MacDonald Fraser sets up a comedic line with semi-seriousness.

My favorite, so far, is Flashman talking to Queen Victoria in advance of her Golden Jubilee (and after a performance of Wild Bill Hickcock's Wild West Show that had so much smoke from guns firing, you couldn't see anything). He and his wife are having tea with her majesty while he's silently ruminating on how some women's bustles were being fitted with music boxes that would play "God Save the Queen" when the ladies sat down.

I nearly died...

No comments: