Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Day of contemplation, or not...

I did a refresh of 5 Dates and it's good. Damn good. It all falls into place just right, even according to the rules of Syd Field and his ilk. So I will begin sending it out to competitions and offering it as a sample of my work when I go hunting for an agent. I have the WGA's list, and I'm going through the whole damn thing, if I have to, to get myself repped. I made it through about 25% the last time I tried this; not gonna stop, this time.

I'm going to re-up for InkTip, too, and post some scripts on there. Hitting MovieBytes, too. I'm working up a schedule to make myself pay attention to the 5369 different services offering to help you make your script better and get it noticed or sold, all for $50 a shot. (A touch of exaggeration, but not by much.)

I've come to the understanding that I will never win the lottery, nor will my books make me independently wealthy...or even get me to the point where I'll be able to live on my writing income. I'm too niche-oriented. I don't like writing articles for magazines and am no damn good at copy. Writing for TV is a different mindset for me, unless we're talking MOWs or something 8 eps long for HBO. I could do Place of Safety in that format, 3 series of 6-8 eps each. Brendan's not crazy about the idea, but...

I have to do something different. Something proactive. NOW. I know how to write movies and books, and they are what matter to me. So...stick with what you love. Which, for me, is telling stories of people, not characters.

And I love doing that most through movies.


2 comments:

MAC said...

Good for you... I love hearing the confidence and determination. Bring on 2014!!!

JamTheCat said...

Already posted my first script on InkTip. $65 more towards this year's tax deductions. Ouchie.