Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

GoDaddy is anything but go or my daddy...

Man...I just spent 5 hours updating my web page to reflect David Martin's availability...and I keep getting reminded by GoDaddy that I have no idea how to properly use their design assistant. As soon as I'd get one aspect of the upload set like I wanted it, something else would vanish or adjust itself or lose what I'd done to it. There was one line that refused...and I mean flat out refused to change the font color, no matter what I did. It wanted to stay white, so it stayed white. End of story.

But...I did finally get the damn thing to at least be livable. A bit on the bland side, but something I can direct people to. Of course, during all of this, I found a mistake on the postcards I'm getting made. Dammit. That was another chore, because I did everything exactly like they said and when I uploaded it, everything was right where it needed to be and they were happy and all I had to do was okay the proof...except the color of the synopsis was a soft gray instead of black. I couldn't get it to change so had to call VistaPrint's help line...and they had to go in to remove the color coding themselves. This one was not my fault; it was a glitch in their system.

So that's been my day -- getting postcards set up (I'm supposed to have them by Friday...but I doubt I'll get them till Monday or Tuesday, the last two days of the year), and updating my webpage. I now have a nice little backache, my eyes are crossed, and I hate GoDaddy.

I'm leaning towards doing a complete restructuring of NYPDB, since the stuff I worked so hard on was taken out. That would mean stripping it down to just the story about the disappearing drugs, and using only snippets of the guy's history as filler or where explanation is needed.

I read a great interview with Billy Wilder, who wrote and directed movies like Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment, and Some Like It Hot, and his work process makes a lot of sense -- focus on giving your lead a clean, clear line of action. I do tend to meander, but it would work perfectly for NYPDB...which really needs a new title. The Good Guy?

On a side note: one of my brothers is born again, and has decided that I am going to hell by own choice. Found this out in a short Facebook exchange. I unfriended him. I'm too old to put up with that shit.

But it does seem to be spreading...

No comments: