Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Hop, skip and jump across the pond

I'm headed for London, again, after the first of the year. It's a quick trip -- just 4 days to pack some rare books for shipping -- but it'll be fun. What's hysterical is the bouncing around I did trying to get a decent fare. After dealing with ridiculous offerings from Hipmunk, Travelocity, and Expdia -- like leaving from Toronto, but having to change not just planes in NYC but airports, in the middle of rush hour with only a 3 hour window -- I was cross-eyed. Talk about absurd. (Though there was one that tempted me with a return trip by way of Oslo that included a several hour layover; I've never been to my other mother country.)

Turned out the cheapest way to do it was one-ways -- Buffalo to London Heathrow, Gatwick to Dublin or Belfast, and Dublin to Buffalo. Meaning, I'm hitting Ireland, too. I'm debating between Belfast and Dublin; I want to do Belfast because PRONI (Public Record Office of Northern Ireland) is there, but they aren't open on a Saturday and I wouldn't get into Belfast till just a few hours before they close, on Friday, unless I was willing to nearly spend the night at Gatwick...which I'm still considering.

However, that would also entail a trip from Belfast to Dublin on the train so I wouldn't get to see much of the city. And it's not like Belfast really plays much into P/S (that's what I'm calling Place of Safety, from now on; POS is too distracting), not until a section after Brendan returns home.

Alternatively...I love Dublin. I could do the Guinness Storehouse Tour, again. I could hop up to Tara and see the smaller mounds...if they're open. Hmm...better check into that. I could do a tour of James Joyce's city. Hit the archive library there. I think I still have my membership card.

Too much to decide...but I am leaning to Dublin. It's an easier time and fits in with my script and play, Wide New World, as well as the things I've been reading, lately.

Whatever I decide, I've got two legs of this trip bought and paid for -- so I'm arriving in London and leaving from Dublin, no matter what. In-between is me blowing my budget.

Can't wait.

No comments: