Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I think I have a hero...


I am in awe of David Mason Chlopecki. This guy lives in NYC, has a successful clothing line, has built himself up from god only knows what...and is what he is and if you don't like it, tough shit.

If he wants to dress up like a unicorn, in jeans -- he does.
If he wants to come across as a bad-ass, he does. And what he says in his House of Vader blog is fun, educational, confrontational, all too totally David. (Link to it in the "Blogs I follow" sidebar.)
Doesn't hurt to look like a Viking God (the guy on his left is probably 6' tall). I used him as the model for Dion in The Vanishing of Owen Taylor...and find that Dion's the most decent guy in the book. The most enjoyable.  The one I'd most want to be around.

This is my favorite fun photo of Dave -- blue ponytail, pink leather, too-cute scowl, Exterface photograph. He is what he is. I'm finding inspiration in a lot of people who've built their own existence. I think I'd like to refurbish mine, now, and people like him give me hope that it's possible.

Just like Dion's doing for Jake...as life mirrors art, once more.

2 comments:

David Mason said...

Wow!? Is it tacky that I respond to this? Either way I dont care because Im doing it because Im grateful to be recognized and appreciated. That's incredibly generous of you! I didn't know a character in one of your books was based on me either. WOW, im excited by that and honored to be considered by a talent such as yourself!
Thank you!

JamTheCat said...

Nothing you do is tacky, David -- it's all fierce. Glad you liked it.