Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Joan Fontaine 1917-2013...dammit...


But then, again, maybe not. She was 96, and that's a good long life. And she left behind so many wonderful moments in movies -- clueless Peggy revealing she's pregnant in The Women; The unnamed Mrs. DeWinter descending the staircase in Rebecca, then confronting Mrs. Danvers; Lina growing to believe her husband is a killer during a game of Scrabble in Suspicion. She leavened her intelligence, beauty and grace with a hint of a smirk. That's why I used her as the image of Gretta in my book, The Lyons' Den. I always felt she'd be killer as a femme fatale. Her sister, Olivia, may have had more talent or luck with better parts, but Joan Fontaine got her Oscar first...and deserved it.

I have nothing else to say...

No comments: